Sunday, May 30, 2010

Newark to Washington

Amtrak pulls into Newark Penn Station. I had to do a gig in Washington D.C. for the day job, took the train, about 7:24 AM. Amtrak is a national treasure. Trains are just a wonderful way of travel, the metaphor of the tracks, the egalitarian feeling shared by passengers trains inspire, the friendly attitude of the we love our job Amtrak employees, the landscape rolling by the window. I arrived for the business deal relaxed and refreshed, reading a lot, napping a bit too. Union Station is a fantastic station too. My one complaint, no place to view trains pulling into the station. In Newark you can of course. Wait on the platform and there in the distance, at the bend, the I know you rider I wish I was a headlight on a Northbound (in this case, Southbound) train. Ruminating about trains always leads to a song reference. Trains made this country great and Amtrak continues that fine tradition. Every time I have a chance to take Amtrak I’m thankful and thankful I live in a country that has an Amtrak.


No comments:

Post a Comment