Friday, November 26, 2010

Flexible Flyers


Flexible Flyers. We had two, large and small, double and a single. Used to get what seemed like more snow. I will always remember that big storm, ice storm, school closed for two or three days, sledding through a several backyards down to the patch of woods at the foot of the neighborhood hill. Trudging up the hill, dragging the sled (not a sleigh) behind you, and when you would go down the hill, as you gained momentum, steering with the front end of the sled, the flexible part I guess. Never had the saucers. I don’t even like snow. I’m remembering an April snow, wet, slush, too big for the single sled, the runners getting stuck in the mud, waiting the whole three more seasons for the snow to return but the desire to trudge up the hill was gone. Back at the homestead for thanksgiving. The siblings cleared out the place of all the junk, or so I thought. The Flexible Flyers were still there, waiting for winter. They’re rusted and worn but I bet one good ride left, given the right snowfall and hill. I guess I’m not the only sibling inclined towards sentimentality.

No comments:

Post a Comment