Monday, October 4, 2010

Big World in Small Art


Miniaturizing the world into a diorama. I noticed a few on last year's tour. This year I was particularly struck by a some dioramas by Meghan McKee, who calls herself a sculpture, and there were some sculptures by her that were part of the
Exquisite Corpse show, I believe.

Keep your Avatars, your digital processes & projectors. Give me the even pre-analog 3-d experience. The miniatures combine a found art sensibility with an irreverent social commentary—for example small medicine like bottles and a tiny motor set in a large book, which houses the diorama. The term collage may be more applicable, 3-d collage. It is not just inside that is the art, but the entire piece that creates the effect.

“Well, I don’t have space, my studio is my apartment,” she told me. “I like creating a whole universe in a space, and somebody holding the diorama in their hand, holding an entire universe in their hand.”

visit:
www.meghanmckee.com










No comments:

Post a Comment