Thursday, April 2, 2009

another introduction

See, I told you wasn’t an April Fools Joke. Why a blog? Why the heck not. A few years in there, during the Bush II era, creativity wasn’t as robust. Even when it was robust, had more rejection slips than luck. Wrote a lot of poems, some published in forgotten lit mags. In the 90s, I did readings. St, Marks, Carpos and even CBGBs, a personal best. But then the poems sort of stopped coming and I was more immersed in prose. I studied the prose poem for ten years. A combination of Arthur Rimbaud & Raymond Carver. Sounded good at the time. Got an MFA degree. All the while, toiled away and eked out a living with journalism. Who cares really? Whatever. The creativity seems to be back, publishing is dying and I’m not getting any younger so I figured why not use a blog as an outlet for essays and such, mixed in with some works from the stock pile. I suspect this blog will evolve. I keep saying fun to read. Don’t get me wrong, I have things to say, observations and opinions that are worth sharing and worthy of reflection. Ideas. Beliefs. I only hope they are fun to read. Really, my only aspiration. I figure most people have their favorite websites and blogs and social networking. Who needs me to open up them to the world wide web. I’m not a very social person so why should I pretend to be different internetwise. So, at least for now, this blog is meant to be read, checked out, enjoyed. All the other stuff so prevalent in the blogs in the blogasphere, I just can’t be bothered so don’t expect that. Plus, I am either inept at the technology or too busy to learn. A few weeks ago, I was hanging out with some friends, old friends and a buddy was asking me if I was still doing poetry readings. The answer was no of course, but I had actually been writing things that fall into that poetry thing while also writing other reflections and such. At the same time, I was still contemplating the whole Oboma election. I’m a liberal so it is quite exciting, especially an overwhelming feeling that this the beginning of a new epoch, and a lot of the old ideas that have circulated in our politics and culture no longer apply. A new generation is taking hold, one I am not a part of and one I am honestly, pretty impressed by. I was at the movie, The Watchmen, which was cool, and to set up the alternative history plot line Times They Are a Changing played. Now, I’m about the biggest Dylan freak there is, a long time poster on the Bob Dylan News Group. Of course, this hoary old chestnut is way too mawkish for me, I like to believe. I rarely play it these days, so hearing it was a wonderful surprise. And a line struck me. “your old road is rapidly agin’/please get out of the new one if you can’t lend your hand.” I love the use of the word, please. I guess this is lending my hand. A combination of observations of this new epoch with observations of right before that advent. Anyway, I’m still getting my footing here about what I want to do and write and shoot, blog about. And, how to work the dang thing. Give me a couple of weeks to get rolling. Enjoy.

1 comment: