Friday, June 17, 2011

Subterranean Reopening

I am pretty sure this newsstand – the Grove Street Path Station – has been closed since September 11th 2001. I could be a little bit wrong, there may have been some intermittent openings and closings and soon there after construction took place. But I don't think so. It was closed on that dreadful day and never reopened until now. Anyway, looks like they are going to open the newsstand – now that I don’t smoke and read newspapers on line! I wonder if it is going to be operated by the same folks who run the corner place on Grove & Newark. They’re from Pakistan and delightful chaps, they are really into cricket. I assume this was closed because of heightened security after the attacks. Can I also assume the reopening is due to the fact Bin Laden is dead and the Iraq and Afghanistan wars winding down? Or has the need for a cold beverage and demand for certs and chewing gum gotten so great the public demanded another outlet? I spoke with the gentlemen here, who was unsure who would be running it, when exactly it closed and when it will actually open. But I’m telling ya, the last time it was opened you could still get on the Path with money, not metro cards or smart-links!







2 comments:

  1. the newsstand was definitely open when i first moved to JC in summer '04. by the time i moved back in spring '06, i believe, it was closed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah... could be, i know it was closed for a long time after the attack, then I remember there was a construction thing and then it was opened then closed... it sounds more dramatic with a 9 11 closing,

    ReplyDelete