Thursday, January 28, 2010

All Goes Back to Abraham, Anyway








I’ve always loved this building and thought it look pretty splendid during our morning snow storm. I could do the history thing, but I don’t quite have the time. It’s a synagogue, get yee to shul my Hebrew brethren, but is now a mosque. Praise Allah, friends of Allah. I believe it’s a Sufi mosque, catering to the Moslems from India and Pakistan. I went into the building once, they had just bought it or something, it was during the day and there were folks around and were more than happy to let me look about. A friend of mine, also a muslim but of another branch—A Fruit of Islam guy, African American buddy of mine, has actually went there to pray, as has another muslim buddy. Both of whom are not of the congregation, and I’m not quite up-to-speed with the different strains of Islam, but my friends have told me they’re really friendly here, inviting, everyone welcome for their call to prayer. I say, Mazel Tov! Why, this is a beautiful old synagogue, and I just love the fact that it is now the mosque, and I am willing to bet 100 shekels it’s the only Mosque with menorahs and the Stars of David. Dig the lions. Something very New Jersey about this irony.


1 comment:

  1. I too was puzzled about the Star of David symbols in contrast to the comers and goers - thanks for clarifying that

    ReplyDelete