Saturday, April 20, 2013

Anti-Sexist Walk & Steps

 
 
 
I have no idea if this Washington Square chalk drawing has anything to do with Slut Walk, but that’s what I thought of when I read the slogans on the steps just beyond the fabulous picture of a woman. Slut Walk is a movement protesting verbal sexual harassment of women, which I support. I liked their FB page and they’re part of the newsfeed. Why should anybody have to deal with slurs and pejoratives as they go about their day?
Well, this is technically a sidewalk so I thought slut walk. I dig the slogans My Dress doesn’t say yes. Another, that really hits the mark, is I’m a Woman Just like Your Mom. The reason I like that is you know all those guys who feel compelled to yell out sexist crap, intimidating women they do not, have mommy issues. We do not need to share them.
The drizzle will wash the chalk away but at least for a day or so harassment was counter balanced.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment