Sunday, May 23, 2010

Life-Like Celebrity Sighting


I’ll admit it here and now, just to clear my conscious. I never saw Titanic. I just didn’t give a shit or what have you and I missed it and then its success turned me off. I forgot that Leonardo DiCaprio was in it. He brought a great memoir, This Boy’s Life to life, to cinematic life, a rare feat, and with reasonable crediblity protrayed both Jim Carrol and Arthur Rimbaud. I loved the Departed and Shutter Island is one of the best films of 2010. I strolled through Times Square last week. I try to avoid that part of the city and I’m usually successful in doing so but you can’t avoid it entirely forever and there he was, Leonardo Wilhelm DiCaprio. Just so you don’t think I’ve turned Paparazzi, it’s a wax statue, outside the wax museum. Stuff like this makes you want to join the bring back the peep shows, hookers and junkies movement, but alas, not everybody can live here so welcome tourists. Pretty life-like for a celebrity. For a moment I thought it was him too, for real. I was thinking: wow, he’s much more tan in real life. Turns out he was wax. What you don’t see is the crowd of women, mostly women, in a semi-circle a few feet from the faux DiCaprio. I have a feeling they know Titanic a lot better than the fake Rimbaud poems in Total Eclipse (a cheesy movie but he wasn’t bad in it). I liked The Aviator. The women took turns in getting their pictures taken with the wax likeness. The young lady here happens to be my sister-in-law, who was visiting. I ran across this ironic quote on his wiki entry. "I have no connection with me during that whole Titanic Phenomenon and what my face became around the world. I'll never reach that state of popularity again, and I don't expect to. It's not something I'm going to try to achieve either." Those fawning over your wax statue on this time square sidewalk might see it differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment